The Royal Zoological Society of South Australia Inc (‘the Society”), understands that when accessing our website or interacting with us online, at our shops, zoos or telephone, the privacy and confidentiality of personal information is important to our members, volunteers, donors, sponsors and customers. As a result the Society is committed to safeguarding the personal information provided to us.
Information Collection and Use
Each time someone visits our site, our web server collects the following types of information:
- The number of users who visit
- The date and time of visits
- The number of pages viewed, and
- How users navigate through the site.
No attempts are made to identify anyone browsing our site. The data is captured so that the Society can accurately evaluate the quality of the content on the website and make improvements.
However, the Society will collect personally identifiable information in the following circumstances:
- On becoming a member of the Society
- On becoming a sponsor of Adelaide Zoo and/or Monarto Zoological Park
- On making a donation to the Society, Adelaide Zoo and/or Monarto Zoological Park
- On participating in one of the programs conducted by the education service at either Adelaide Zoo or Monarto Zoological Park
- On becoming a member of the Future Zoo Foundation
- On supplying goods and services to the Society, Adelaide Zoo or Monarto Zoological Park; and
- On participating in any event, program or activity conducted for the benefit of the Society
- On purchasing goods from our online Zoo Shop
- On becoming a member of Conservation Ark
- On joining a "Behind the Scenes" tour
- On buying tickets to our Zoos
If you place orders on this site, information including your credit card number and contact information is of necessity collected. This information is used soley to record and fulfil your order. Credit card details are NOT stored on this website. Transactions are processed through the merchant gateway authorised by the four major Australian banks.
The personal information collected by the Society will include name, address, date of birth, telephone number (both home and work), occupation, email address, and student ID number (if applicable).
The Society may use the personal information collected for the following purposes:
- To provide information about events, programs and activities being undertaken by the Society at both Adelaide Zoo or Monarto Zoological Park
- To raise funds for conservation programs undertaken or supported by the Society; and
- To raise funds for the maintenance and development of Adelaide Zoo and Monarto Zoological Park.
Information and Discloser
The Society may disclose personal information held to other organizations involved in the preservation of life on Earth once we are satisfied that:
- The aims and objectives of such organisation are consistent with those of the Society
- The intended use of that personal information is consistent with the purposes for which the Society would use the same information; and
- The personal information is used in a way approved in advance and in writing by the Society and can be used for no other purpose than that specified
However, the Society will not disclose your personal information to other organisations if you advise us in writing that this is your wish.
Not-with-standing the above, the Society will share personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- We need to share personal information in order to provide the product or service requested
- We need to send personal information to others that work on behalf of the Society to provide a product or service to you
- If legally required to do so; or
- If otherwise required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1988
Access to and Alteration of Personal Information
The Society permits individuals to access their personal information in the following manner:
- The request must be in writing
- The Society will endeavour to respond in writing to requests for access within twenty eight days of the receipt of the request at the offices of the Society
- The Society may impose a charge for providing access to the personal information depending on the nature of the request.
We encourage you to exercise your right to ask us to change inaccurate, out of date or incomplete information.
If a person wishes to alter personal information held by the Society, they should advise us in writing of the required changes. The Society will endeavour to make the changes requested within twenty eight days of the receipt of the changes at the offices of the Society, provided that we are satisfied that the changes are accurate, complete and up-to-date. The Society will not confirm the changes are made unless specifically requested to do so.
Online transactions- are they secure?
Purchases made through our website are processed securely over the Internet using a dedicated private connection that is inaccessible to Internet users, and enhanced security features such as digital envelopes and content keys. With the combination of our system of security features, including encrypted communication between our payment gateway and merchant server; and a secure browser at the customer end, you can rest assured that your credit card information and anonymity are protected.
Links to other websites
Our website may occasionally contain links to third party websites for your convenience and information. These linked sites and their content are not under the control of the Society, and the Society is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of companies inked to our website. Before disclosing any personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the privacy policies of those websites.
In the event that a person considered that the Society has breached the policy on privacy, they should provide details of the breach in writing to the Society.
The Society will endeavour to respond to such a complaint within twenty eight days of its receipt at the offices of the Society.
If you require further details about the Society’s Privacy – Internet Policy or wish to comment on the policy, the contact details for the Society are as follows:
Royal Zoological Society of South Australia Inc
C/- Adelaide Zoo
ADELAIDE SA 5000
Tel: 08 8267 3255
Fax: 08 8239 0637
Under the Trade Practices Act 1974:
You are entitled to a refund if the goods you bought:
- Have a defect
- Do not do what they are supposed to do
- Were purchased for a particular purpose relying on the description of the goods and did not do what the description said; or
- Do not match the description or sample seen on the website.
You are not entitled to a refund if you:
- Simply change your mind about something you have bought:
- Are responsible for the fault/defect: or
- Were advised of the fault/defect at the time of purchase: or
- Discover that the item can be purchased cheaper elsewhere.
However, the goods must be returned within a reasonable period and you may be asked for proof of purchase. You may also be asked to demonstrate that the problem with the goods was not your fault.
If you prefer an alternative to a refund, we can arrange for goods to be exchanged. A store credit may be offered at our discretion.
Please choose carefully as you are not entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind. Keep your receipt as proof of purchase.
Fragile goods will be sent at the purchasers own risk.
The Society will take no responsibility for breakages made during postage.
Delivery may take up to 28 days.
Customer Service Policy
In the case of goods ordered not being available or delayed in delivery, we will advise our customers within 10 business days.
Our website accepts payments over 128-bit SSL encryption.