In 2019 Adelaide Zoo Learning presents a new inquiry approach where students compare historical attitudes and contemporary approaches to animal welfare and conservation by exploring and designing their own animal enclosure.
This PD is for Upper and Middle Primary and Middle Years teachers (sorry, no pre-service teachers this time)
In this 1.5 hour workshop, teachers explore how students take control of their learning and create real life solutions to pressing conservation and sustainability challenges, using STEM processes and ICT
What is the Designing animal homes – STEM Zoo Journey?
- A practical guide to designing STEM and ICT thinking and processes
- A three part resource that guides you through an exploration phase at school, a data capturing phase at the zoo and a design, sharing phase back at school
- A multi-layered approach with free teacher professional development sessions
- A program where educators and students can participate with minimal to high ICT knowledge / experience
- Designed to engage students in multidisciplinary thinking in a real world context
This free professional learning session for Primary and Middle Years teachers explores the use of the iPad to deepen student learning and engagement while at the Zoo.
- Using a combination of iBooks and a range of built in Apple apps, students will be able to deepen their zoo experience and better understand animal adaptations
- It is encouraged that you bring an updated iPad with iBooks installed
Date: January Tuesday 22nd, 2019
- Group 1: Morning workshop: 11.15am to 12.45pm (1.5 hours)
Meet: 10.50am at the front gate of Adelaide Zoo (Plane Tree Drive)
Please note this session is booked out
- Group 2: Afternoon workshop: 1.45pm to 3.15pm (1.5 hours)
Meet: 1.15pm at the front gate of Adelaide Zoo (Plane Tree Drive)
Lunch: Not provided, but you are welcome to stay in the Zoo after your workshop and enjoy the facilities
Parking: $10 parking at the end of Plane Tree Drive or free parking in St Peters (10 minute walk)
A certificate of participation will be emailed after the event with links to AITSL teacher standards (1.5 hours)