Zoos SA volunteers love animals, the natural world and most importantly, love interacting and engaging with people. Our generous volunteers contribute across our zoos in a range of roles. Oftentimes they are they are the public face of the zoo.
Being a volunteer enables you to work in an amazing environment with friendly, like-minded people. You’ll gain knowledge, develop skills and use your own skills and experiences to contribute positively to our Zoo programs while knowing you are very much appreciated.
Please note: In most cases volunteer activities do not involve contact with animals and volunteers do not assist zoo keepers with animal care or veterinary staff with the health and well-being of the animals.
To become a volunteer you must:
- Be 18 years of age to apply;
- Agree to a National Police Check;
- Be a current financial member of the zoo;
- Commit to a minimum of 200 hours per year – which equates to 2 full days per month at Monarto Zoo or 4 shifts per month at Adelaide Zoo;
- Have your own email address and are comfortable using smart phones, tablets or PCs to access email and be willing to learn and use our online roster system.
- Undertake our volunteer training and agree to act in accordance with our values, policies, procedures and processes.
We have two main volunteer intakes per year in February/March and July/August for our two zoos. You can apply anytime via the online form. Some roles can commence outside of these intakes.