Zoos SA volunteers love animals, the natural world and most importantly, love interacting and engaging with people. Our generous volunteers contribute across our zoos in a range of roles. Oftentimes they are they are the public face of the zoo.
Being a volunteer enables you to work in an amazing environment with friendly, like-minded people. You’ll gain knowledge, develop skills and use your own skills and experiences to contribute positively to our Zoo programs while knowing you are very much appreciated.
Please note: Most programs do not involve contact with animals and the main focus is in engaging and sharing your love of our Zoos and our collection with visitors and members.
To become a volunteer you must:
- Be 18 years of age to apply;
- Have a current National Police Check or be willing to undergo a screening;
- Be a current financial member of the zoo;
- Commit to regular service of about 180 hours per year of service – which equates to 2 full days per month at Monarto Safari Park or 4 half-day shifts per month at Adelaide Zoo on average;
- Have your own email address and are comfortable using smart phones, tablets or PCs to access email, or be willing to learn, so you can use our online roster system.
- Undertake our volunteer training and agree to act in accordance with our values, policies, procedures and processes.
We have two volunteer intakes per year in the beginning of the year and mid-year.
You can apply anytime via the online form, check out the different roles we offer and select those that you are interested in being considered for.
If your interests match to our current recruitment needs you will be invited to attend a short ‘matching meeting’ ahead of the next intake so we can see you match to our program, values and culture and that we match to you!
NOTE: Selection to be a volunteer is a competitive process due to the limited places in our programs, compared to the number of applications we receive. However, if a program is not being recruited for a particular intake we will retain your application and invite you to attend the next intake where this program is offered.
We are seeking passionate, committed, curious, adaptable and positive volunteers.