Our Zoos SA volunteers love nature, animals and interacting and engaging with people. Our generous volunteers contribute across our zoos in a range of people-facing and behind the scenes roles. Oftentimes they are they are the public face of the zoo and key connectors with guests to our animal and conservation stories.
As a volunteer you’ll gain knowledge, develop skills and use the skills and experiences your already posses, to contribute positively to our Zoo programs.
Please note: Almost all of our roles do not involve working directly with our animals. In the rare instance when these types of roles are available, they are offered in the first instance to suitable candidates from our existing volunteer pool.
To become a volunteer you must:
- Be 18 years of age to apply.
- Have a current National Police Check or be willing to undergo a screening;
- Be a current financial member of the zoo;
- Commit to regular service of about 180 hours per year of service. This equates to 2 full days per month at Monarto Safari Park or 4 half-day shifts per month at Adelaide Zoo on average.
- Have your own email address and are comfortable or willing to learn, to use smart phones, tablets or PCs to access email, so you can use our online roster system, e-learning and access communication updates.
- Undertake our volunteer training and agree to act in accordance with our values, policies, procedures and processes.
You can apply anytime via the online form, check out the different roles in ‘General Interests’ and select those you are interested in and feel you would match well to so your application will be identified when we are recruiting for these roles.
If your interests match to our current recruitment needs you will be invited to attend a short ‘matching meeting’ ahead of the next intake so we can see you match to our program, values and culture and that we match to you!
NOTE: Selection to be a volunteer is a competitive process due to the limited places in our programs, compared to the number of applications we receive. However, if a program is not being recruited for a particular intake we will retain your application and invite you to attend the next intake where this program is offered.
We are seeking passionate, committed, curious, adaptable and positive people who desire to serve our organisation as volunteers.