Zoos SA volunteers love animals, the natural world and most importantly, love interacting and engaging with people. Our generous volunteers contribute across our zoos in a range of roles. Oftentimes they are they are the public face of the zoo.
Being a volunteer enables you to work in an amazing environment with friendly, like-minded people. You’ll gain knowledge, develop skills and use your own skills and experiences to contribute positively to our Zoo programs while knowing you are very much appreciated.
Please note: In most cases volunteer activities do not involve contact with animals and volunteers do not assist zoo keepers with animal care or veterinary staff with the health and well-being of the animals.
To become a volunteer you must:
- Be 18 years of age to apply;
- Provide a current National Police Check or be willing to undergo a screening;
- Be a current financial member of the zoo;
- Commit to about 180 hours per year of service – which equates to 2 full days per month at Monarto Zoo or 4 half-day shifts per month at Adelaide Zoo on average;
- Have your own email address and are comfortable using smart phones, tablets or PCs to access email, or be willing to learn, and use our online roster system.
- Undertake our volunteer training and agree to act in accordance with our values, policies, procedures and processes.
We have two volunteer intakes per year. One in February and one in July.
You can apply anytime via the online form and about one month out from the intake you will be sent an invite to attend our information session, providing you with information about what roles we are seeking to fill. If there is a role that interests you and you think you will match well to it, then you will need to RSVP to attend the Information Session.
At the information session you will find out more about these roles and have the chance to ask questions.
Following the meeting if you are wanting to pursue a volunteer position you will need to book a short interview with our program staff within the dates provided so we can determine if you match to our program, values and culture.
Selection to be a volunteer is a competitive process due to the limited places in our programs, compared to the number of applications we receive.
We are seeking passionate, committed, curious, adaptable and positive volunteers.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR INTAKE 2, 2019. APPLICATIONS WILL RE-OPEN LATE 2019.